Sunday 15 May 2005

Renault 5 GT Turbo conversion - May 2005

Febuary | March | April | May | June | September | October | Goto 2006


07 May - Today was a big tidy up day making space and writing up lists of bits I need to buy and work that needs to be done. After a brief cleaning session on the subframe and gearbox I decided it was time to turn the car around and call it a day. With the help of my girlfriend and neighbor I managed to turn it round ready to get the engine in and finish a number of jobs. I've also found some great storage space where the engine was!!
wheres my image?


08 May - After a trek to Machine Mart who had a VAT free day I bought some castors and some thick plywood from B&Q to form my subframe trolley it cost me about £18 in total but it was money well spend and certainly a lot easier than lumping the subframe round on just the jack!! After constructing it I put it straight to use dropping the subframe onto it and wheeling it from under the car.. next I managed to single handedly mate the engine to the box.. not sure how as it weighs a tonne anyway with a bit of wood a jack and willpower it was connected. This took most of my time up today and felt enough was enough so I jacked the engine and subframe in place just to confirm clearances and for a bit of a moral booster.. Think I'll leave it there till next time :)
wheres my image? wheres my image? wheres my image? wheres my image?


10 May - Spent the day just grinding down welds not great progress but it had to be done
wheres my image?


11 May - Sprayed the top side of the conversion today, after that I decided to get back underneath and start welding the under arch.. it took an absolute age and during a moment of madness I lifted my visor to have a look at my handiwork only to have a hot piece of metal drop into my eye!! I thought at first it was just a bit of dust so I carried on getting nowhere fast. I called it a day and went home..
wheres my image? wheres my image?


12 May - Woke up with it still itching to cut a long story short ended up at eye casualty only to find a piece of metal lodged in my eye after a lot of uncomfortable poking the doctor had it out and polished out the rust ring that had formed around it.. all credit to the doctor with such precision maybe I should have asked him to finish my welding!!


17 May - Well after a little break my eye was back to normal so it was time to get back to it.. I was determined to sort the inner arch once and for all, it’s been a real pig to weld under there but finally I have managed it to a satisfactory state it’s not pretty but it’s sound!! I also cleaned things up and put a coat of acid8 anti corrosion primer, I also re-finished the tops of the struts. Now just got to start the other arch I think I’ll leave that to another day though J
wheres my image? wheres my image?


19 May - The other arch wasn't all that bad and I managed to crack on with the sealant. As you can see in the picture I no longer take my safety for granted
wheres my image? wheres my image? wheres my image?


Febuary | March | April | May | June | September | October | Goto 2006

No comments: